This year’s Flatirons Food Film Festival fundraiser will take the form of 10 live culinary classes on Zoom during the second and third weekends of August that will include instruction, short films, and feasting. Members of the local food community such as Chef Hosea Rosenberg of Blackbelly, and Jennifer Olsen of Jennifer Olsen Photography, will teach 90-minute classes.
It starts August 8 and takes place over the weekends of August 7 and 14.
The classes’ format will consist of:
- 2020 Festival trailer with clips from upcoming feature films
- Demonstrations on how to make a specific dish, “guided” tastings, or lectures sharing tips and expertise
- Q&A session where students can ask questions, chat, and feast
- Short food-oriented film
Students will receive a recipe for the class dish, if there is one, and a link to a video recording of their class, so they can relax and watch the class live, and if they wish, and follow the video instructions while cooking the dish later.
Fundraiser classes are $30 per person for each class, or $250 for a pass to attend all classes. All proceeds will go towards holding the 2020 Flatirons Food Film Festival. Tickets and passes are available at https://bit.ly/FFFF20_BenefitClasses
Following is the fundraiser class schedule:
- Saturday, August 8, 10:30am-12pm: Making and Using Shio Koji, a Japanese Fermented Marinade with Chefs Christine Ruch and Mara King of Fresh Thymes Eatery
- Saturday, August 8, 12:30-2pm: Upping Your Instagram Food Photo Game with Jennifer Olson of Jennifer Olson Photography
- Saturday, August 8, 4:30-6pm: A Guided Tasting of American Artisan Cheese with Certified Cheese Professional Jessica Beer and other members of the Cured team
- Sunday, August 9, 10:30am-12pm: Making Tahchin, Persian Baked Saffron Rice with Chicken with Saba Parsa of saba jam
- Sunday, August 9, 5:30-7pm: Shopping for and Cooking a Perfect Steak with Chefs Hosea Rosenberg and Arun Moghe of Blackbelly
- Tuesday, August 11, 5:30-7pm: Sourdough Secrets and Baking with Local Heritage Grain with Master Bread Bakers David Kaminer of Raleigh Street Bakery and Andy Clark of Moxie Bread Co. and support from the Colorado Grain Chain
- Friday, August 14, 5:30-7pm: Making Dill and Bread-and-Butter Pickles with Chef Matt Vawter of Mercantile Dining and Provision
- Saturday, August 15, 10:30am-12pm: Shiitake Mushrooms: Magic, Folklore, and Gastronomy with Culinary Mycologist and Chef Shadi Ramey of Feed Your Vibe
- Sunday, August 16, 10:30am-12pm: Spanish Spices and the Art of Paella with Chef Dakota Soifer of Cafe Aion and Dan Hayward of Savory Spice Shop – Boulder
- Sunday, August 16, 5:30-7pm: Heirloom Grain Pizza Making with Chefs Kelly Whitaker and Colten Steiner of Dry Storage
2020 Flatirons Food Film Festival
The 2020 Flatirons Food Film Festival will take place Oct. 8-11 as an online festival. Just as with past live Festivals, it will present short and feature films, live speakers, and film-related food events – but all online. Films on indigenous and minority food cultures will be strongly represented at this year’s Festival. More information will be available soon.